Stunning, room-filling sound
Available in black and white.
“Fill any room with impressive wall-to-wall stereo sound from a single speaker.” That's what Bose said about their new Home Speaker 500. I was skeptical — until I took it home to audition. The system features two custom drivers facing in opposite directions. And they deliver. The sound radiated outward from the sides of the Home Speaker 500, filling the room with a wide stereo soundfield. But that's just the start.
The Home Speaker 500 has Amazon Alexa built-in, so you can use voice commands to pick your music. You can also stream directly from your smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth. The speaker is simplicity itself to operate with either voice, smartphone app, or integrated control buttons. And with a Bose Soundbar 700 or Soundbar 500, it can be part of a multi-room audio system that's just as easy to control as a single Home Speaker 500.
“Alexa, play my weekend party playlist”
Amazon Alexa opens up a world of entertainment options. You can tell the speaker to play music from a variety of music services, such as Spotify® Premium, Amazon Music, Pandora®, and more (some require subscriptions). Listen to your favorite radio stations from across the country or internet radio station from around the globe.
Plus you can ask for news and weather updates, stock information, and more. Set reminders and alarms, all with your voice. The Home Speaker 500 has an eight-microphone array to ensure your voice commands are clearly heard.
Bose® Music app for single- and multi-room use
The free Bose Music app turns your smartphone or tablet into a powerful remote. It gives you simple, step-by-step instructions for setting up your Home Speaker 500. The app also lets you select six presets for your speaker from all your available music sources. Preset 1 could be your local radio station, preset 2 a Pandora station, preset 3 a Spotify playlist, and so on.
In short, the app gives you full control over your Home Speaker 500. And if you add additional Bose smart home speakers and sound bars, it can control them as well. Each speaker can play something different, or you can group speakers to all play from the same source.
Simple, hands-on control
The app is great, but you don't have to carry a smartphone around with you at all times. Six preset buttons give you instant access to your favorite music sources. A top-mounted mic-mute button lets you disable Alexa for privacy, without affecting speaker operation. You can easily control volume, play, pause and skip tracks right from the speaker itself.
The speaker's color LED screen displays artist, album art, and song info. It can also tell you what the sound source is (Bluetooth, Preset 1, Pandora, etc.).
- connects to your Wi-Fi network for wireless music listening
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream directly from compatible devices
- 8-microphone array for clear voice pickup
- top-mounted mic-disable button
- Amazon Alexa voice control built-in
- control music playback
- select which Bose smart speakers or sound bars to play
- volume, play, pause, skip and repeat functions
- access to Alexa skills, such as weather reports, smart home commands, and more
- Bose Music app
- free download from Apple App Store® and Google Play
- support for online music services, including Amazon Music, Spotify Premium, Pandora, Deezer Premium, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and SiriusXM (subscriptions required for some services)
- expand your multi-room system with additional Bose smart speakers and sound bars
- remote control of each connected compatible Bose component
- play the same song through multiple speakers or different songs in different rooms
- six presets offer instant music playback with the press of a button on the speaker or remote
- simple app-based setup using your mobile device
- 6 top-mounted preset buttons
- 2 custom drivers mounted 180° apart for room-filling sound
- color LCD display
- seamless anodized aluminum body
- requires AC power
- warranty: 1 year