Boston Acoustic's MCenter speaker gives you the detail and clarity you need for exceptional home theater performance. Despite its compact size, this center channel speaker can hold its own with the floor-standing models in Boston's M Series family. Your eyes will appreciate this speaker's simple, understated looks, and your ears will appreciate Boston's advanced driver and cabinet design. Prepare yourself for clear, nuanced dialogue and exciting special effect that put you right in the middle of the on-screen action.
Balanced Mode Radiator for wide-open sound
One of the keys to the MCenter's full-bodied sound is the innovative Balanced Mode Radiator (BMR). BMR drivers use a flat speaker surface that combines the traditional "pistonic" movement of speaker cones with a "bending-wave" movement to create sound. This design allows the driver to cover a much wider range of sound — one that's normally handled by both a tweeter and a midrange — and gives the BMR exceptionally wide 180-degree sound dispersion. What does that mean? Instead of just a small "sweet spot" directly in front of the speaker, even listeners way off to the sides will enjoy crisp, accurate sound. The MCenter also uses two 4-1/2" polypropylene woofers to deliver robust low frequencies.
Better cabinet construction improves performance
Cabinet vibration, or resonance, is the enemy of clear sound. It adds distortion and coloration to music and vocals. Boston's M Series speakers fight vibration with LoQ™ cabinet construction. By using two sheets of MDF (medium density fiberboard) with a special damping adhesive layer between them, Boston created an enclosure that provides the acoustic deadening of much thicker materials without the drawbacks of added weight and increased size. The result is a relatively compact, lightweight speaker that has a very low resonance — or in speaker-speak, a low “Q.”
In addition to the Lo-Q cabinet material, Boston also used a scanning laser vibrometer to critically position the M Series cabinets' internal braces where they provided the most benefit, and added heavy-duty absorptive cabinet fill to eliminate internal standing waves. These advanced cabinet building techniques and materials result in speakers with impressive transparency and a large, detailed soundstage.
- 2-1/2" inch Balanced Mode Radiator (BMR) driver for a wide, open soundstage
- Two 4-1/2" polypropylene low-frequency drivers for dynamic bass
- Bass-reflex (ported) enclosure
- Boston Lo-Q™ cabinet construction reduces vibration and eliminates unwanted resonance
- Laser-based vibration measurements ensure optimized placement of internal bracing and driver mounting points to minimize cabinet resonances
- High-gloss black piano lacquer finish with leatherette covered baffle
- Frequency response: 68-22,000 Hz (±3dB)
- Sensitivity: 87 dB
- Impedance: compatible with 8-ohm outputs
- Recommended amplifier power: 50-200 watts
- 5-way binding post speaker terminals
- 21-11/16"W x 6-1/16"H x 7-1/8"D
- Weight: 15.9 lbs.