- Flangeless design & micro-perf grille minimize visibility
- Simple to install; no spackle work required
- 9 3/4" (24.8cm) total visible diameter is smaller than competing nominal 8" models.
- Perfect for use as side/rear surround speakers in home theater systems
- Latest generation BDSS drivers for audiophile-grade sound quality
- Pivoting Pure Aluminum dome tweeters
- Axially Aligned design ensures broad, balanced coverage area
- GaussGrip™ magnetic grille fasteners
- Adjustable high-definition crossover
- Optional fire-rated enclosures
- Cast PolyStone™ baskets for rigidity without "ringing"
Definitive's Disappearing™ In-Wall series speakers feature near-invisibility thanks to their small diameters, hidden flange design, and low profile micro-perf grilles. They are as easy to install as traditional flanged flush-mount speakers, and don't require custom sheetrock/spackle skills to install, yet they are practically invisible. The DI 8R grille is a mere 9 3/4" (24.8 cm) in diameter, noticeably smaller than competing 8" in-ceiling speakers. The Disappearing In-Wall models feature Definitive's most advanced technologies such as Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) mid/woofer drivers and pivoting Pure Aluminum dome tweeters for spectacular audio performance far beyond traditional flush-mount speakers. Definitive's exclusive Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) driver technology permits these new flush mount speakers to deliver more bass output and dynamic range than larger drivers. For example, the DI 8R's 8" driver has the output, bass and dynamics of a 10" traditional speaker.
With a pivoting 1" Pure Aluminum dome tweeter featuring a specially shaped housing that avoids the diffraction distortions of traditional post-mounted tweeters, and a sophisticated adjustable crossover network, the Disappearing In-Wall models deliver the kind of lifelike sonic performance and broad even dispersion that have made Definitive Technology the most highly reviewed speaker brand in the USA. As is common with in-ceiling speakers, listeners are almost always "off-axis." They rarely sit right under an in-ceiling speaker. Usually the speaker is at a 30, 45 or even 60-degree angle to the listener. Definitive Technology has engineered the DI Series speakers to disperse sound over a very wide area, so that the sound is well-balanced and natural regardless of relativity to the speakers. BDSS technology drivers, aiming tweeters as well as the specially contoured and textured AeroRing™ around the driver contribute to the wide angle dispersion and superior coverage capability of the DI Series models.
Optional pre-construction "rough-in" brackets with repositionable metal mesh "arms" are available for new home construction projects. Fire-rated pre-construction enclosures will be available as options, allowing integrators, architects and designers to specify Disappearing In-Wall Speakers in multi-family and commercial applications.