Definitive's Disappearing™ In-Wall series speakers feature near-invisibility thanks to their small diameters, hidden flange design, and low profile micro-perf grilles. They are as easy to install as traditional flanged flush-mount speakers, and don't require custom sheetrock/spackle skills to install yet they are practically invisible. The DI 5.5R grille is a mere 7-3/8" (18.62cm) in diameter, about the same visible size as competitive nominal 4-1/2" in-ceiling speakers. With Definitive's DI Series, listeners get more sound per square inch of visible speaker.
The Disappearing In-Wall models feature Definitive's most advanced technologies such as Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) mid/woofer drivers and pivoting Pure Aluminum dome tweeters for spectacular audio performance far beyond traditional flush-mount speakers.
Definitive's exclusive Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) driver technology permits these new flush mount speakers to deliver more bass output and dynamic range than larger drivers. For example, the DI 5.5R's 5-1/4" driver has the output, bass and dynamics of a 6-1/2" traditional speaker.
With a pivoting 1" Pure Aluminum dome tweeter featuring a specially shaped housing that avoids the diffraction distortions of traditional post-mounted tweeters, and a sophisticated adjustable crossover network, the Disappearing In-Wall models deliver the kind of lifelike sonic performance and broad even dispersion that have made Definitive Technology the most highly reviewed speaker brand in the USA.
With in-ceiling speakers, listeners are almost always "off-axis" by rarely sitting right under an in-ceiling speaker. Usually the speaker is at a 30, 45 or even 60-degree angle to the listener. Definitive Technology engineered DI Series speakers to disperse sound over a very wide area so that the sound is well-balance and natural regardless of where listeners are relative to the speakers. BDSS technology drivers, aimable tweeters as well as the specially countoured and textured AeroRing™ around the driver all contribute to the wide angle dispersion and superior coverage capability of the DI Series models.
- Flangeless design & micro-perf grille minimize visibility
- Simple to install with no spackle work required
- 7 3/8" (18.62cm) visible diameter is noticeably smaller than competing nominal 6 1/2" models
- Perfect for use as side/rear surround speakers in home theater systems
- Latest generation BDSS drivers for audiophile-grade sound quality
- Pivoting Pure Aluminum dome tweeters
- Axially Aligned design ensures broad, balanced coverage area
- GaussGrip™ magnetic grille fasteners
- Adjustable high-definition crossover
- Optional fire-rated enclosures
- Cast PolyStone™ baskets for rigidity without "ringing"